Ingredients for Chocolate Chili
Directions for Chocolate Chili
- First thing - cook the bacon, drain it and set it aside.
- Brown your hamburger. I put The Q Steak Rub on the burger as it's browning and I usually can't help but put some freshly-ground black pepper on it as well.
- As the meat is almost done, I put in the onions. This is also the time to add the other spices directly to the meat. Yep, even the chocolate.
- Add the bacon back into the hamburger.
- Finally, mix everything else in and let the mixture simmer for about an hour. Your chili will be even better if you do this several days in advance and then reheat what you're going to eat.
If you do cook the chili and then reheat it a few days later (good luck avoiding it in the fridge!) cool it in small batches in an ice bath. I put it in smaller glass containers covered with ice so it cools really, really quickly which avoids food poisoning.
While lots of people will just put the pot on the counter and wait for it to cool, this is a huge mistake as it's the perfect breeding ground for food poisoning! Split hot foods like chili or soups up into small containers and then cover those with ice to have them cool as quickly as possible.